Thursday, April 1, 2010

Holy Thursday

Feeling a little lazy and sleepy, we headed to our Parish Church located in the heart our town, Bangar, a rustic village in the province of La Union, where freshly caught fishes, shrimps, squids and other sea creatures are sold by enterprising fishermen right in our doorsteps.


It's been a long time since I've paid a visit to our Parish Church. To return to the Church is not really meeting old friends or acquaintances, or catching up with fellow members. I only knew people I’ve met in some other places outside the Church. Going to Church is revering a common God, being in harmony with the community in singing the Gospel songs and listening to sermon, trying to answer your own questions that may arise. It's a one-way communication, much like watching in a movie theater.

The Paschal Triduum begins with the Holy Thursday. Today, we're going to witness the Washing of the Feet.

Forgive me, for I have not quite reflected on the virtue that is being symbolized in this act. While I watch, I thought that this is one moment where you experience the culture of a place. I love the sound of Ilocano phrases and Ilocano songs which I still can recall from when I was an elementary student in a Catholic school a decade ago.

The twelve men who played the apostles consisted of men from different professions. The first one is a Brgy. Captain. Leaning towards my younger sister, I said "Corrupt". She hesitated a smile. Looking back, I thought that it was an unfair prejudice on all government officials. The Brgy. Captain stood up, introduced himself, and described how he contributes to society. He then sat down then the priest washed his feet and wiped it dry with a towel. Another is a student. I wondered who composed his script which rather resulted to a pessimistic soliloquy. Maybe a parent who's a having a hard time with an adolescent young. He said that he demands for allowance every time, incurs a lot of expenses and has a high tuition fee. I was expecting the more common "Children are our Future" thing when referring to youth. He then sat down and the priest washed his feet and used the same towel he used with the Brgy. Captain to wipe his feet dry. This continued. One is a fisherman, and one is a farmer. When the doctor showed himself, my mother told us that he has filed a lawsuit in the Regional Trial Court. My mother continued much of these side comments for the duration of the ceremony. Then there's a teacher, a police and an OFW. I remember the police saying, "Will there come a time when there will be peace, where truth will prevail, and there will be dignity and respect in people?” The OFW said, "When I worked abroad, I settled for the pictures of my loved ones and missed the warmth of their embrace". Then there is the Istambay, meaning standby or the unemployed. I immediately thought, what value could he teach us? I did not quite remember all his self-introduction but I think there are not much of positive things he said about himself. He said that he's waiting for opportunities where he may be able to give his service. Still convinced he shouldn't be among the twelve Apostles, I remembered, I am an Istambay. And yes, with the guilt, the pressure, the realization that I'm not carrying much of the burden of living, I too cannot say much positive things about myself but nonetheless a part of the community. If these are the predominant professions in our town, then I am not alone as an Istambay. What a relief.

The ceremony continued. I felt a little embarrassed when my mother raises her voice when singing the Gospel songs. Then I realized that I and my younger sister, weren't gifted with a pleasant tone either. When I tried the second voice, my sister said, "that doesn't sound good", while trying to look as seriously as possible so that I would take her comment seriously. I did, but I sang anyway.

My knees hurt, my sister sleepy, my mother silent, the mass ended. We walked towards the marketplace and bought some things. My mother suggested that we walk home as a gesture of penitence for the Holy Week. It's a less than a kilometer distance. She thought about it for awhile then waved for a tricycle and we ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment