Sunday, April 18, 2010

One Big Fight!

When I was to take my board exam in the year 2008, my mantra is "Do everything I can, if I fail so should 90% of all board takers".
It may not be profound in statement, but it worked. I passed with high ratings. When I went to see my scores in PRC, I'm quite sure I saw some stars and fireworks with a band banging percussion in the background.

Why it worked. This mantra gave me a goal that is specific. If my goal was to pass the exam, it would have been overwhelming and ambiguous. But if my goal was to ensure that I belong to the upper 10 or 20 percent of all board takers, it's specific and more manageable. The test is composed of random and trivial questions. It is also in multiple choice. With, with little or no preparation, takers have just as much chances of passing. To feel that you succeeded in executing a preparation plan, is a great help in gaining some confidence and loosing some fear.

You may think that such thinking is in the wrong side and hint of crab mentality , but as I've said, it may not be profound but it worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment