Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Internet is my New Bestfriend

Back in College, when I shifted from my Chemical Engineering degree to Electronics Engineering, I had a hard time adjusting to the new environment, especially with the people I worked with.  I remember when it was unbearable, I hastily went home, picked up the phone and talked to my bestfriend  about it. Our conversation begins with me complaining about people then shifts to us being mean, criticizing people and having good laughs.  It helped me a lot during those days.

Now that I am experiencing similar difficulty in the real world, instead of calling my friend, I turn to Google.  I type in the keywords and voila, I immediately find a blogger experiencing very similar situation, where other people who experienced the same thing gives some advices and words of encouragements. Internet has all the answers.

But I realized, I have practically replaced my friend with the Internet.  It provides credible references, gives more detailed analysis, is more accessible and minus the awkwardness of opening up to other people.

This lead me to ask, how important is personal interaction in building relationships with our families and friends?  How deep can relationships go if people choose to talk to various media other than being personally present? If you're a teenager, why not just talk to Google about your problems, instead of your parents?...in this way, you will not be scolded and you will not be put in an embarrassing situation.

Technology in all its efficiency, brought people around the world closer but also farther apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment